Top 5 Best Dog Flea and Tick Prevention Products
10 minutes to read | Updated for 2018
You may think of fleas and ticks and a nuisance but not a serious enough problem to worry about. However, fleas and ticks pose serious health risks such as Lyme disease, various fevers, and even plague to both you and your pet.
Once a flea infestation invades your home, it can be a daunting task to remove them and often requires harsh chemicals. Rather than dealing with ectoparasites in your carpet or risking contracting illnesses such as Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, we’ve rounded up the best flea and tick prevention products for your beloved pet.
Last update on 2018-10-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What’s In This Guide
- Treats both fleas and lice, as well as preventing infestations.
- Do not use on puppies less than seven weeks old.
- Available in a four-month and six-month doses.
- Dosages come in sizes for dogs as small as three pounds, up to over 55 pounds.
- Active ingredients: Imidacloprid (9.10 percent) and Pyriproxyfen (.46 percent).
- Kills fleas in every stage, from eggs to adults.
- Kills fleas through contact, they don’t have to bite to ingest poison.
- Begins to work within 12 hours.
- Effective for a full month.
- Also works on lice.
- Does not work on ticks.
- Ineffective for some dog owners, and in rare situations dogs will have an adverse reaction.
- Spot test on your animal before washing your pet’s entire body.
- Twelve ounces in a bottle.
- Can be used on kittens and puppies 12 weeks and older.
- Contains soothing ingredients for skin such as oatmeal and aloe.
- Active ingredients: Pyrethrins (.75 percent), Piperonyl Butoxide (.75 percent), and Pyriproxyfen (.86 percent).
- Long-lasting flea prevention in a wash for dog’s entire body.
- No harsh monthly treatment on one skin spot.
- Can also be used on cats.
- Kills fleas, larvae, lice, and ticks.
- Long shelf life in bottle.
- Entire body treatment that kills fleas during the wash and prevents further infestation.
- Some pets have adverse reactions.
- May require multiple washes to eradicate fleas completely.
- Spot test on your animal before coating their body.
- Available in 14-ounce and 16-ounce bottles.
- The dose is about four trigger sprays per pound of animal body weight.
- Always avoid spraying near eyes and mouth or directly onto pet’s face.
- Active ingredients: Etofenprox (.50 percent), S-Methoprene (.27 percent), and Piperonyl Butoxide (1.75 percent).
- Break flea life-cycle up to two months with proper use.
- Can be used on both cats and dogs.
- Reasonably affordable for use on smaller animals (more needs used on larger dogs).
- Can be sprayed onto fur and lightly massaged onto your pet.
- Available in two sizes.
- Easy to use.
- High customer rating.
- Some animals, especially smaller ones, have adverse reactions.
- Ineffective for some people.
- Spot test on your animal before coating their fur.
- Not for use on your pet’s face area.
- Can also be used outside for flea-infested areas of your yard.
- For application on cats and dogs six months and older.
- Six ounces per can.
- Active ingredients: Pyrethrins (0.1 percent), Piperonyl Butoxide (1.0 percent).
- Kills not just fleas, but also ticks and lice.
- Works quickly.
- Can be rubbed into fur or dusted on pet bedding.
- Shaker top makes application easy.
- Extremely affordable.
- No wet spray to deal with.
- Can be used on cats, too.
- Yard control of flea-infested areas.
- Some animals have severe adverse reactions.
- Occasionally customers found it ineffective.
- Cannot get into water sources, as stated on the label.
- Fresh lemongrass essential oil scent.
- Available in 4-ounce, 16-ounce, 32-ounce, and one-gallon sizes.
- Can also be used outdoors for flea-infested areas of your yard.
- Apply to infested pets every two to three days (after spot test).
- Active ingredients: cedar oil (4.2 percent), natural sodium lauryl sulfate (2.2 percent), lemongrass oil (1.5 percent), sesame oil (0.1 percent).
- No clove oil, pyrethrins, or toxic ingredients.
- Does not stain.
- For use on bedding, flooring, upholstery, carpets, and pets.
- Nearly 60 percent of over 2,000 reviews rated five stars.
- Kills fleas, ticks, and mosquitos.
- Made with 100 percent natural ingredients.
- Kills full flea life cycle, including larvae.
- Safe around pregnant mothers, kids, and for both cats and dogs.
- Made in the USA by a woman-owned business.
- Slightly pricier than some sprays.
- Some people found it ineffective.
find an exterminator near youEnter your zip code to find top rated local pest control