Best Ant Poisons
14–16 minutes to read | Updated for 2018
If you have a continuous ant problem, chances are you have not yet found a full-proof solution yet. Perhaps you have tried numerous do it yourself tactics, or you have tried your best to repel and protect.
Preventing ants and other insects from getting into your home is one thing, but defeating the problem altogether is another discussion.
Ant poisons don’t repel ants; they kill them—plain and simple. While that part of the solution is easy enough to figure out, it can be hard to know which product is best for your situation. There are several different types of ant poisons on the market, so we have picked some of the top competitors to aid in your decision-making.
Last update on 2018-10-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What’s In This Guide
- Comes in 1, 2 and 3-packs
- Ready to use
- Sealed station keeps bait fresh until opened
- Can be placed under appliances or other hard to reach areas
- The poison is very effective and will kill any ant who consumes it.
- The poison is also slow-acting, meaning the ants can lead the rest of their colony to it before they die.
- Bait stations are easy to open and use.
- Terro Liquid Ant Bait is very affordable.
- The sweet taste of the liquid bait will attract ants quickly.
- Bait stations are mess-free and keep the liquid from drying out.
- Initially, you will see an increase of ants in your house before they die out.
- Bait stations should not be within reach of small children or pets.
- It comes in packs of one, two, three, or six
- Kills all forms of household ants
- For use outdoors to kill ants before they get in
- Can be staked into the ground
- Effective bait will attract and kill ants within the area.
- Slow-acting bait allows time for ants to spread the poison to the rest of the colony, eliminating the entire population.
- Weatherproof stations ensure the bait isn’t lost and the station isn’t disturbed.
- Removable stakes allow users to place stations securely in the ground of flat on hard surfaces.
- Bait is easy to use with no exposure to harmful chemicals or inhalants.
- Traps are meant to stop the problem before they enter your house.
- Rendered ineffective if it comes into contact with moisture
- 12 oz bottle can treat 54 mounds
- Does not require watering-in
- Kills off the entire colony
- Can kill an entire colony in one day
- Quickly eliminates fire ants, their mounds, and the queen ant in one use.
- Does not require watering.
- Can be used on both lawns and ornamental plants.
- One bottle can treat as many as 54 mounds.
- Made with reduced odor formula.
- Very affordable price.
- Works best when purchased with Ortho’s two-step fire ant process.
- Requires you to get close to the colony, which can be dangerous.
- Comes in two 3 lb. bags
- Weather resistant
- Easy-to-use shaker bag
- Granules contain effective poison that kills far more insects than just household ants.
- Contact killing provides a quick fix to insect issues.
- Good for the use of perimeter protection, giving you long-lasting results.
- The easy-to-spread bag design is convenient for any user.
- Granules are weather resistant and can remain effective through the rain.
- Terro does not recommend this product for indoor use.
- Not as fast-acting as other products.
- Requires more effort to use than some other products.
- Waterproof dust
- Easy-to-use can
- Lasts up to eight months
- Comes in packages of 1 or 2
- Shake and spread
- Convenient container is easy to use and apply.
- You can use the product both indoors and outdoors.
- Waterproof dust stays put even through rain.
- Effective poison kills insects on contact.
- Dust can be used as long-term protection and preventative methods.
- Excellent for cracks and crevices.
- Can be used for direct application on anthills.
- Dust can be difficult to clean up.
- Dust can appear messy.
- Comes with 4 Tubes
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- Targets most types of ants
- Highly attractive formula
- Works very quickly.
- Small applicator is good for small areas such as cracks and crevices.
- Formula is highly attractive to a variety of ants.
- Targets the entire colony as opposed to the individual visible ants.
- Effective poison kills ants slowly with time to spread.
- Targets insects other than ants.
- Gel comes at a higher price point.
- More ants will come before the problem is eliminated.
- Is not useful against fire ants.
- 19oz spray bottle
- Sprays up to 15 feet
- Spray into crevices and cracks
- Kills ants on contact
- Targets a variety of household ants as well as insects like cockroaches, spiders, and some beetles.
- Contact kill lets you instantly eliminate insects on sight.
- Spray can be used as a preventative measure when sprayed along borders and perimeters.
- The nozzle conducts a powerful spray, reaching up to 10-15 feet for hard-to-reach areas.
- The spray comes at an affordable price.
- Does not work on fire ants effectively.
- Some users report dripping when spraying.
- 9 trays per pack
- Contains Borax
- EPA Registered for indoor and outdoor use
- Non-toxic formula is a safer alternative to chemically developed baits.
- Product is EPA approved, meaning it’s safe for the environment.
- The sweet formula will easily attract common household ants.
- The slow-working borax poison gives ants plenty of time to lead their colony back to the bait, killing the entirety of the colony over time.
- Liquid bait and trays are easy to use and set up.
- Some users report that ants ignore the tray but respond when liquid is placed on wax paper.
- Will not work on carpenter ants or fire ants.
find an exterminator near youEnter your zip code to find top rated local pest control